Well, my friends, all that has changed -- I have discovered massaged kale salads!! Massaging the raw kale softens it and creates a super silky texture without cooking. The best part of this recipe is that it tastes just like tabbouleh -- lemony and garlicky, and almost like parsley -- but it's kale, a superfood! And the whole massaging process is rather relaxing, sort of like kneading bread but without the carbs.
I know what you must be thinking--massaging kale??? This sounds ridiculous and perhaps a bit inappropriate. I promise, this is absolutely a technique and it's used by many a 'real' chef.
If you google massaged kale salads, you'll find people adding in apples, mangoes, nuts, pumpkin seeds--all sorts of yummies. A lot of those things are not Phase 1 on Ideal Protein, but there are still so many things you can do with this recipe. Use this as a base and then add in the things you love--I've noted a few suggestions for you! Let me know what you include.
I hope you enjoy -- I am making a second batch right now, and I'm hiding some to make sure I get to take it for lunch tomorrow!
Massaged Kale Tabbouleh Salad
2 bunches of fresh kale, about 8 cups (it shrinks down to about half)
4 cloves minced garlic
2 tbsp. olive oil
2 tsp. Sea Salt
Add ins to pick as you like (chopped, of course): red pepper (raw or roasted), red onion, scallions, cucumber, jicama (could serve as a pseudo-apple! Include chopped or jullienned), soy nuts....
1. Take the kale off of the ribs. You can see below I've done this with half of the kale so far.
|Removing the kale leaves from the ribs|
2. Wash the kale well and then slice thinly.
3. In a large bowl, put the kale, juice of the lemons, olive oil, the salt and some pepper.
4. Get your hands in there! Massage the kale until it softens and wilts--about 3 minutes.
5. Put in your add-ins--for my first batch I used roasted red pepper and scallions. Adjust the lemon and seasonings as well (I add more lemon cuz I love it, and usually a touch more salt).
6. Enjoy! Or wait. The longer this sits, the better I think it gets!!
|Massaged Kale Salad -- So Good!!|